Friday, January 8, 2021

Thinking Of Opening a Bed & Breakfast

Well it's a New Year and I am committing to blogging.  I am making a note in my new 2021 Planner to "Blog" whenever I have the time, energy and something worthwhile to say.  As B&B owners, we often have guests that say they envy us our lifestyle and then ask us all sorts of questions about what is it really like to own a B&B (it's not all Gilmore Girls or Nights In Rodanthe).  We have had Hospitality Students and Aspiring B&B Hosts spend anywhere from a day to a week with us to observe and learn (with one young lady running out after six hours saying she didn't want to work this hard!).  We recently collaborated with Jon Nelson who is writing a book on Bed & Breakfasts and asked us some very interesting questions.  We are never at a loss of words when people ask questions, so I guess I am going to start sharing some of our information with you in these blogs.  

Please feel free to ask your burning questions and add your own comments.  There are no dumb questions and we certainly do not have all the answers.  

When thinking of opening a B&B, it is important that you have a vision of your target market and an understanding of what you have to offer that will initially attract guests and have them coming back for more.  Whether you are buying an established B&B or starting a new Guest House, you have to do what will make both you and your guests happy.  Sometimes carrying on with the old will work and sometimes you need to bring in the new.  If you are not happy, then your guests will not be happy.  Create a place where you would like to stay.  More than once I have said to Bob "I wish we could take a vacation here".  It's that simple.  

So how did Bob and I find ourselves at The Grand Kerr House - well, according to an article submitted by Gabby Deutch to The Blade in June 2016...

"Nearly 100 people gathered Thursday night in the rain at a public auction in the village of Grand Rapids for the historic Kerr House, though most there were not interested in bidding - they just wanted to see the beautiful home before it sold.

The three-story Victorian-era mansion sold to Bob and Cathy Trame of Maumee....When asked about their plans for the home, the Trames said they are 'exploring multiple ideas'."

That's right, we were clueless as you can see in our smiling faces on closing day.



Yes, I always dreamed of owning a B&B but, after two knee replacements and starting to look into retirement,  I had decided that I no longer had the energy for such an undertaking.  However, I guess Bob and I both got caught up in the excitement of the event and, somewhat impulsively, we threw our hats in the ring and the rest is history (we have a much longer, animated story that we share with house guests when asked).  With the opening of our doors, we tried several ideas - some that worked and some that did not.  And that is what I will talk about in my next blog.  

Let me know your thoughts - you know I am going to tell you mine!  



Cathy


No comments:

Post a Comment